Tuesday 20 March 2012

10 Deadly Mistakes During Business Cocktails

I recently attended a cocktail party with business people and have to admit that I didn't act too professionally at the beginning. So I decided to share some conclusions with you :) Just to make it clear - I didn't make all of the mistakes listed and I'm not going to share which ones were mine and which ones I've noticed before.


So here they are:


1. You forget the meaning of 'small talk'


When someone starts a casual talk with you, you suddenly turn it into a complex, intellectual, and well, let-me-escape-from-you conversation.


E.g.
"Nice to meet you, X. Do you enjoy your time here?"
"Yes, I do, thanks. But to be honest, not everything from the food appeals to me. They could have chosen another brand of cheese or at least serve it with a wholemeal bread. On the other hand, people here seem to be nice, but I think that this woman there next to the door is shooting angry glimpses at me, dunno why."


Your life at this moment could have been much easier if you had just said something like:
"Yes, I do, thank you. I don't really like the cheese, but i can live with that.How about you?"


2. Not drinking and giving long explanations for that


"Where is your drink?"
"Oh, I don't drink. It's just my lifestyle. Some people may find it strange, but it is just the way I am."


3. Wearing unpolished shoes


Like your dog has stepped on them. Dusty shoes make you look cheap.


4. Saying mean things about other people in the room.


We all have some moments when we feel awkward and say the first thing that comes to our minds. For example, discussing other people or laughing at them. It not only sounds malicious, but it also makes you feel low-confident. And just imagine that the person in question is the best friend of your interlocutor.


5. Eating fast/ eating food that applies big chunks/eating all the time like a rabbit.


 


Not sexy, nor professional!


6. Being dressed too casually


 



You are not on a teenage party, so if you don't want people to look down at you, you better try to understand the dress code.


7. Feeling too comfortable


 



If you are feeling relaxed and calm, it doesn't mean that you have to straddles your legs and occupy the whole sofa.


8. Forgetting what people have just told you 5 minutes ago.


As a result you feel unfocused and distracted and people may think you don't care about what they have to say.


9. Interrupting


Someone is telling you their favourite story and you constantly find something to add in between their sentences. Annoying!


10. Blah-blah-blah-blah


Even if you find the best listener to the world and he/she waits for you to finish your waterfall of words, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are interested in the endless talk.


To conclude with, I think that you actually need to make some of the mistakes in order to become more professorially-looking. And after all, it's always a good laugh when you remember it all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment